Seems a lot of process lifecycles–tend to take a cyclical approach. i.e. some kind of loop most likely aligned with a continuous improvement approach.
Organizations that have been able to realize continued value through BPM while nurturing and gaining adoption have done so through a holistic approach. In addition to holistic approach they have realized for business transformation to work a multipronged strategy addressing the needs of all constituents of an organization is required. Some of the salient practices adopted by successful organizations are:
- Business Process Management (BPM) is an interconnected discipline with equal parts of management focus & technology focus. This means as much time is spent in selecting, implementing, managing BPM technology platforms, half or more time is spent on people, methodology, structure, governance, communication & alignment.
- BPM is both strategic & tactical in nature which means establishing vision and alignment to corporate objectives only succeed when process is rolled into ground level efforts and & makes a difference to the everyday employee. Key to making BPM strategic & relevant at the enterprise level is delivering success at the tactical projects.
- Realizing that BPM is complementary to topics such as Enterprise Architecture, Business Intelligence, Service Oriented Architecture, ERP, Six Sigma, Agile development has helped many an organization establish a clear scope, structure and partnership with these initiatives thus saving it from a quagmire when priorities change.
- By focusing on tailoring methodologies that exist rather then inventing new ones has allowed successful organizations to create repeatable & reusable experience which in turn has allowed impact of BPM to extend to the enterprise.
- Governance a term – over used or misused is one of the most of the critical elements for success. Centralized Business Process Competency Capability is one of the most important factors to sustain success and guide the BPM program as it interacts with the business & IT. Staffing the right people in this centralized model is key to BPM education, execution & governance.
To be continued…